Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Workflow with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • This is an excellent article on some of the challenges with processing workflow on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

http://michaelcioni.tumblr.com/post/14725750331/4k-digital-intermediate

In particular, I was stunned by the data rates required for handling the large image files. A single frame can be 45 MBs -- and the drives they require support at least 500 MB/s.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • 4k is brutal. Thanks for sharing that link - good read! Ahbleza.

I wonder what will drive 4k for consumers though - 4k TVs? 4k Computer monitors? Will the media have to come out first for mass adoption? Vice versa? 3D is luke warm in the minds of consumers right now.

The biggest trend right now is "streaming" - eveyone wants to stream or download media. 1080p or 720p is "good enough" in the USA it seems.

Weird times.

• The main takeaway I got from the article (apart from the cool technical aspects) is that companies like Sony are looking to the future, and they see 4K is the long term medium for ensuring that future cinema projection systems and home entertainment can be fully satisfied with quality for the coming 10 years (or more.) How old is BluRay now? Yet most people I know are still satisfied with DVD quality.

Again, it comes down to the basics -- the STORY is most important.

P.S. If anyone is interested on collaborating on a production, I just moved to NYC, and have a variety of production gear sitting idle while I look for work. I'd love to do some shooting here... some great stories to tell in this city!

• 3D is luke warm because "one" issue is people (like myself) hate the thought they have to put on a set of strange glasses to watch it. Of course it's only one reason, but it's a big issue for many. I'm not sure if I like the look yet too..

Also, 4K is the next step. It will happen on a larger scale, but I'm not sure how long it will take. HD was easy to catch quicker due to the phrase "High Definition"; so, to even people who don't know shit about it think if it's "high definition" it must be better...LOL...Shit now they're using that phrase for even audio. Now, that's fucked up.

Man, I remember years ago being an early adopter of DVD and going into a video rental store looking at their small selection in DVDs. The guy there told me, "forget it, DVDs will never take off. We're not getting many more" Yes, this guy was an idot.

• "4K is the future..."

"4K is the next step..."

I guess the article was about consumer formats and not production formats? It's too long for me to read yet another production account, but I was processing and rendering 4k frames 15 years ago. It's pretty much the standard for any kind of serious production. Of course the finished plates go to print... No one tries to stream it or deliver consumer end video in 4K - of course.

Is that article suggesting or are people starting to consider 4k as a consumer video acquisition format or something? That would truly be ridiculous! 4K is and has been a standard production format used for editing, compositing, and so forth. On the consumer end we're just now landing on 1080p/i - no one can seriously be considering 4k as distribution format at this point can they? Nothing is ready for that and I kinda doubt that it ever will be. Rather I would assume that if/when we're be able to push that much data on a typical consumer platform that it'll be in an entirely different form. Holographics, I dunno but I seriously doubt it'll be flat looking.

• I think Sony are looking at 4K not as a consumer format, but rather as the core of a workflow for making movies and showing them in cinemas with suitably-equipped projectors. An interesting point made in the article is all the compromises made during the production chain, and suggests that 4K offers fewer trade-offs in retaining quality of image, color depth and compression. So yes, 4K for distribution -- but only to Sony 4K cinema projection facilities. The funny thing about all this is that ordinary 35mm film is still superior to 1080p, and can certainly give 4K a run for its money.

See http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061123192628AANDiGx for a discussion on megapixel equivalence of 35mm film (photographic, not video.)

• You mean Sony is looking at projecting digital 4K? Cuz 4K is already the most common standard for digital film editing. Digitize the frames, edit, comp, CC, etc. and then back to film. That's been the process for the past 15 or so years.

If digital that's kinda interesting... So basically a Red Projector. :)

• Nope, most films had their DI in 2K over the past 15 years, due to excessive costs.

But 4K production and having a 4K master is making your film "future proof" (if there is such a thing at all). BTW, Jannard has said this for 3 years now.

• Interesting... Of the 20 or 30 hollywood films I've done work on or had associations with over the past 15 or so years all but one was 4k... The 2K one (Jimmy Neutron) was rendered and comped in 2k and bumped to 4k down the pipe.

Maybe I'm just special. :)

• Well, I'm in Europe and we are not as rich as Hollywood ;-)

But all my friends from the American industry told me the same, plus Arri who are making the Arriscan and the Arrilaser and selling it worldwide …

Maybe you are special? VFX are made in 4K frequently, but not all the footage.

• Guys, this is David Fincher we're talking about, not some indie slob. He can and will get anything he wants. And I'm sure RED is licking his butthole, making sure he is getting all the technical support that all the measly REDUSER forum members dream they could have.

• @nomad Yeah I think the Captain Pinky CG plates (Pinewood studios TV) were all 2k... I'd have to ask Ron or someone on the production staff as I honestly can't remember exactly. :P

• I'm very distracted by the look of the video in his movies. The mouvement is so-so, feels like deinterlaced in post...although it's not.

• Sony themselves claim that they have been projecting in 4K in many locations, as per http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-mkt-digicinema-latest-webapp4ktheatregmap.shtml

According to this Press Package, they claim they've been building out 4K projection cinemas for five years, and have more than 10,000 locations: http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/mkt/digicinema/brochures/Sony-DigitalCinema-4K-Fall-Update.pdf

• Very informative and a pleasure to watch.

• Met a Fujinon rep yesterday and he showed me these two lenses he had on the table that were '4k leneses' one Prime and one Zoom(not a huge selection). I asked him how they compare to the Angenieux or the Cookes s8 and that when he referred to them being 4k lenses.

Fujinon - Prime 4k.jpg
    2160 x 2592 - 978K
    Fujinon - 4k Zoom.jpg
    3500 x 2625 - 2M
  • Yeah Mike is really an awesome all around good guy, working hard out on the edge.