Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 wake up from sleep via battery grip
  • was wondering how easy it is to modify an aftermarket gh5 battery grip so i can be used to remotely wake up a gh5 i intend to leave in a video camera trap that needs 24h power and be ready after a wake up signal to start recording video.

the camera needs to stay on ready , as typically the gh5 can only wake up via a physical 1/2 press of the shutter butter.

someone in the uk does it but they charge £300 which to be fair might be worth it depending on work involved but i cannot afford it and wondered if its simple or hard todo ?

thanks

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Ask @BTM_Pix at Eoshd forum. He is the man.

• thanks allot i will contact them.

• great thanks to him i have now modified a £40 aftermarket battery grip to allow wired and wireless remote wake up and recording, just needs 3 wires soldering onto the grip shutter switch a 2.5mm socket mounting inside and a canon eos shutter release cable.

if anyone wants to know how its done i am in the process of doing a basic guide.

i will need to experiment with 2 gh5 batteries and test there longevity left in standy as i'm trying to get a full 7day 24h out of it

now i can leave my gh5 in a wood in a waterproof box via a motion trigger sensor that will wake the gh5 up and record video when animals and birds come to my drinking pool i have setup.