Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • Since release all discussion is moving here.

Download link:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh2.html

Info:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/support/en/dsc/fts/win/GH2_eng.pdf

Here is a video demonstrating the V1.1 firmware features:

P.S. Of course all patches will be ported to this firmware with time :-)
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy the hack will stop working if i update firmware?
  • I feel that it is donation time for VK!
  • >Vitaliy the hack will stop working if i update firmware?

Of course.
    And porting won't very fast, as I need to make many things before porting itself.
  • thanks man
  • Lets hope that in doing so many new 'abilities' are discovered for this little camera VK!
  • @alcomposer
    I am with you on that, that job I was telling you about is first paid job I will be using the GH2 on, I will donate for second time then ... scurries off to change the setting on the EX1s to 25P
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

so let me see if I understand correctly . . . the more they have changed, the better, right? because you learn how the software works by comparing differences?
  • Wow. What a nice treatment from Panasonic to our European friends. I hear they are snatching every GH2s in the stores. Haha.
  • So far not impressed. The "high bitrate" mode is just a 24 Mbps 29.97 interlaced mode.

Also, "Added a function [HALF PRESS RELEASE].". This seems to be BACKWARDS, as if it's enabled (ON) then you cannot half press the shutter and refocus / manual focus. Am I crazy here?

Ex Tele mode still has the same restrictions for photo mode - must use "M" or smaller picture sizes, and not allowed to use raw. Also you still cannot toggle this while recording.

# Full area enlargement of AF area setting. - This seems pretty nice.

I will say this, and this is very preliminary - I noticed the gamma doesn't shift when I start recording. Could be a fluke though; off to test more.
    Shawn
  • I imagine there will be lots of people asking if it's safe if you have had the hack on..

This is what I did, but I offer no guarantees, I am not an expert .. This is what I did

I restored the original firmware 1.0 using ptools with increment at 1, no other boxes checked.
    Version Display in camera went back to 1.0
    I then installed new firmware by simple copying the extracted .bin to an SD card.

Wow, I now have version display 1.1 and yippee .. 25P .. in creative movie mode.
    A quick test in Media Composer and it's 25P :)

@vitally ... it's been 20 minutes at least .. where is the new ptools :P

• @Shield, I can see a gamma shift, but it appears to be less
  • From the pdf that Vitaliy linked:
    "You can set to [EX. TELE CONV.] when recording still pictures or motion
    pictures."
    I could before? I just see a new menu that allows me to change the pictures and video ETC options at the same time, but there is no new functionality here really... *shrugs*.
  • @kavadni - I'm testing in a very dark room, but it appears to be way less for me on the gamma shift. Let me turn some lights on. Got to restore my 24p "C1" setting as the high bitrate mode for me is pointless. 29.97 interlaced on NTSC USA cameras.

Also I'd like to point out that I had never hacked this GH2, so it was pretty unmolested before the Panny firmware update.
  • @Shield
    >29.97 interlaced on NTSC USA cameras.

I have big doubts in your words.
    Show me interlaced footage :-)
  • I have extele on Function 1
    When I press that, I now have 2 lines of menu :

Photo on/off
    Video on/off
  • I would like to know that when I upgrade to firmware 1.1, can I still rever back to the hacked 1.0 or did Panasonic add additional security that makes the hack impossible with 1.1 as base (like what Apple is doing all the time)?
  • I've tried several of the film modes; standard, cinema, etc. and in bright light and dim light from 160-3200 iso I do NOT see much of a gamma shift now when I hit record, if at all.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Both Sony Vegas and MediaInfo say it's interlaced 29.97.

From MediaInfo:

Video

Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 21.0 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 21.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.338
    Stream size : 31.4 MiB (94%)

• Nothing conclusive here regarding HDMI .. something is different tho.

I have a Samsung TV .. now I have to have Viera link on (I thought was panasonic only) .. if viera link is off I get nothing. I find that strange.

It's still interlaced
  • This firmware update is a great news for PAL model users, at last 25P!
    The 25P HBR (High Bit Rate) mode.
    You guys have been waiting for decent 25P for a long time.
    NTSC model users will get 30P HBR (High Bit Rate) mode instead.
    (Below is the Japanese info about this new firmware... hope you can spot"30P" in the middle of the 1st page)
    https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/support/jp/dsc/fts/win/GH2_ver1.1_VQC8964_jpn.pdf

• @Shield

This is progressive things.
    I suggest just to look at actual footage.
    It requires few seconds tops.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Everything I have says it's interlaced for the high bit rate mode. Have you tried it yourself? Not talking about the 25p for PAL.
  • @shield Are you using cinema or manual movie mode? just kiddin.

but seriously now...
  • @Shield

Look at the post above, even Panasonic doc says that it is 30p.
  • Here's output from streamparser. @tmcat - no I'm trying out the new HBR mode.

streamparser.JPG
    1289 x 681 - 158K