Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH1 "Lenin" Hack Project Discussion
  • Current Status:

1. We are collecting money to get two unhackable bodies.
    2. As soon as cameras will be available we'll dump firmware image.

Expected results:

1. Ability to flash new firmware with hacks.
  • 227 Replies sorted by
  • I've been following this thread for a few days now. I'm extremely interested in becoming a contributor; my main interest is in the new GH1 body and the potential of hacking the new firmware. My question is, how likely is it that just as much focus will be given to providing newly hacked firmware for the GH1 as the GH2 or any other product? I ask this because I would hate to see the GH1 be left by the wayside simply because the GH2 has been released and is slowly replacing the GH1. I feel that with how inexpensive the GH1 has become it would be advantageous to the community to focus on hacking the GH1 again to provide film makers and videographers alike an inexpensive alternative to the vast majority of tools that exist on the market today. To sum up my question, I would like to assume that this post is indicating that work is underway to once again restore the "hack-ability" of the new GH1 firmware, is this true?
  • Yes this is true.
    Our goal is to make any currently unhackable GH1 into GH13.
  • That makes me very happy to hear. I believe I saw a figure recently, but I'd like to get an update, how much money do you need to move forward on this project. Moreover in what other ways do you need help to make this happen?
  • I think it is about $150 left to collect for GH1 project.
  • We finished collecting for this project.
  • Finally, do you already own these two units or will the be bought now?
    Im so excited over this.
  • >Finally, do you already own these two units or will the be bought now?
    >Im so excited over this.

Consider them bought.
    But we need time as they are traveling from other countries.
  • I have not been keeping myself updated with the GH1 hack, so I'm sorry if this has been answered:

Will it be possible to put a 1:1 1080p crop mode on the GH1 for video recording? The same as the EX Tele Converter in the GH2? I don't own either camera yet, and this is the deciding factor for me. If the GH1 could be hacked to do the 1:1 1080 crop/window mode I would not spend the extra money on a GH2.
  • >Will it be possible to put a 1:1 1080p crop mode on the GH1 for video recording?

Most probable answer is no.
  • I read somewhere that you have stated that the newer currently unhackable GH1 cameras are better than the hackable ones. I love my GH13 and I am thinking of picking up another. Could you please explain why you think the newer ones are better.
  • Thank you! I bought a GH1 hoping that you would eventually work your magic!
  • >I read somewhere that you have stated that the newer currently unhackable GH1 cameras are better than the hackable ones.

I did not stated this as I do not have new GH1s. But this opinion is common amongst owners of latest GH1 batches.
  • Hi Vitaliy, I have an unhackeable GH1 and the bitrate is pretty deficient when you have to record objects with motion, for example, the sheets of a tree combined with the wind make a very bad result, pixelization is disgusting, Now, i do not have the money to buy me a hackeable model or a gh2,
    The day that you achieve with the hack of this model i will be the happiest boy on earth, Greetings from Chile (pardon my english xD) and thank you very much for your powerful contributions to independent moviemaker's community.,
    Later on I will show you a video demonstration f the severe pixelization with the new model

Greets
    Elías.(Elijah)

• Above you said: "I do not have new GH1s." What did you mean by this exactly? Above you had said that you raised enough money for the purchase of 2 GH1s, are they not going to be the new GH1 model?
  • he already bough it
  • >Above you had said that you raised enough money for the purchase of 2 GH1s

They are travelling :-)
  • thanks for your effort vitaly!!!! personally i send you all the good vibes from Costa Rica so you can have the new hack for GH1... thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

• hello vitaliy i wish you a many good luck with gh1 and gh2 jobs.

saludos de mexico
  • Guys, please stay on topic. If you want to wish something, use offtopic category next time, ok?
  • is it possibility to activate the hdmi output to live view when recording video? this would make it a monster camera...
  • I would be interested in this answer as well.
  • Hi,

would it be possible to change things in the GUI and the key mapping ?
  • >is it possibility to activate the hdmi output to live view when recording video? this would make it a monster camera...

Most probably it is not possible. We just do not have necessary knowledge.

>would it be possible to change things in the GUI and the key mapping ?

Right now I do not have plans for GUI changes in GH1. It is possible, but not easy.
    As for key mapping, we also do not have enough data today.
    It requires extensive testing with changes in system areas.
    I hope that we'll get to it with time, porting some knowledge from other cameras back to GH1.
  • Has the new unhackable body's arrived? Dumping done? :)
  • Great to see progress on the Stalin project. Do you expect that a hack of the encrypted GH1, could pave the way for hacking the encrypted GF1?