Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Xiaomi Xiaoyi YI-M1 m43 camera, 4K video, $213 only now for kit
  • 303 Replies sorted by
  • Would it be possible to hack this camera's firmware to get higher bitrates and 24p in all resolutions? I've also looked at the specs of the sensor that is used in this camera and it is capable of 24p in full 20 MP resolution.

• I've also looked at the specs of the sensor that is used in this camera and it is capable of 24p in full 20 MP resolution.

It says nothing, as it is LSI, software and all design that actually work.

As for hacks, it is pointless questions now.

• Is there an email or contact where we can write and ask for 23.976p?

• I am out of the loop, why is a hack out of the question at this point?

• As for my sources on the image sensor. Xiaoyi's webpage for the camera lists the sony sensor model number. http://www.xiaoyi.com/weidan.html The IMX269 is a 20 MP sensor capable of full readout at 27 fps. This can be found on Sony's Semiconductor webpage. http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/IS/sensor2/products/

• @DazzlePump You need the LSI - the details of the hw that encodes the video, and the software/firmware that has to be hacked. Only available if they offer a firmware update. And its more complicated if the firmware is encrypted. Hacking cameras have nothing to do with sensors.

• Any word on dynamic range ?

• Any word on dynamic range ?

In photos or video?

In photo (raw) it must be same as latest Panasonic and Olympus cameras.

• Want to check videos first.

Very good option for beginners joining m43 camp.

• Photos from booth

img2263.jpg
    631 x 528 - 32K
    img2264.jpg
    703 x 516 - 35K
  • well...it´s true ...for those who would prefer not to ship their defective cameras back to china on a prayer !

http://www.43rumors.com/first-real-world-images-and-us-pricing-info-of-the-new-yi-technology-m1-micro-four-thirds-camera/

• Classy look for the body.

• for those who would prefer not to ship their defective cameras back to china on a prayer !

Always love your style. :-)

Pricing source is one booth manager, cameras not even started certification, no release date in US or EU.

While someone can wish for this, actual price will be set by resellers.

• @DrDave

Classy look for the body.

You mean - designers won :-)

I prefer more wheels ala NEX-7, and also mikes in front. Belt attachment points are also horrible.

• of course....chinese ebayers will have a field day on the spread but judging by US retailers sticking to the yi 4k US price , I´d say it´s more than probable. At 329, it was interesting though. At 500...not so much. That´s half of a g85 kit. As for buying china....take a peek at the mini computer customer reviews on amazon. ps...thanks for the compliment !

• As for buying china....take a peek at the mini computer customer reviews on amazon.

Take a peak at Sony and Panasonic local support stories. Canon and Nikon lately also made huge cuts in service departments.

• yes....but b&h take returns w/o a wimper ....year guarantees to boot . No problem...under warranty. It´s ok when the risk is balanced by the savings. And at b&h ( or adorama)...the price will be .....

• yes....but b&h take returns w/o a wimper ....year guarantees to boot

And I hope you can see some relation between this and fact that someone must pay for all this (small tip - it will be all customers and well as poor workforce exploited to death ) :-)

• I do....and know about b&h labor problems and support the workers by keeping them in business so they can continue their struggle ! But from a consumers standpoint...esp mine....who doesn´t live in the usa and if something is defective , it must be eaten....usually for breakfast....I prefer to pay for that luxury rather than risk loosing it. And specifically about the yi camera....a first generation product....with the history of their first gen products common knowledge... it would seem more than prudent, price wise, to compare apples to apples ...i.e. a yi camera at b&h to another camera at b&h...rather than a yi camera at gearbest...to another camera at b&h. Obviously... everyones situation is different.

• @kurth

Got it. We will have video interview with them published later.

Also want to ask to use less "..." as it is very hard to read.

• Betting on first non-action camera with an Ambarella LSI

• @bannedindv

It is certainly not Ambarella camera. They do not make LSI for large sensors, and they also have big restrictions.

• I thought Ambarella made the LSI for that MFT Z1 action camera?

My bad, forgot about this one. A9 was their attempt to try something like it, but it seems old.

In 4K Yi their use A9SE, so who knows.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5787/ambarella-arm-cortex-a9-system-on-chip-camera-supporting-4k-ultra-hd/p1

• @Vitaliy Dynamic range in video mode,. is it like gh4 or gh5? any log mode in this camera?